- 2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of blank walnut halves or pieces
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons of freshly and finely ground medium-roast coffee beans, plus about 45 whole beans
- 12 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of brandy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- Combine black walnuts, sugar, flour, and salt in a food processor and process until the nuts are ground, then add the coffee grounds.
- Add cut up pieces of butter to the processor and pulse until dough looks crumbly.
- Slowly add vanilla and brandy and pulse until the dough wraps around the blade.
- Remove dough from the processor and knead it by hand a few times to incorporate the butter fully.
- Using parchment paper, wrap a 2 1/2–inch diameter log of dough and freeze for up to six weeks.
To make the cookies
Slice 1/4-inch rounds of dough and bake at 350 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet for about five to six minutes and allow the cookies to cool on the sheet.
Before baking, press a whole coffee bean into each cookie for added crunch and flavor!
Johnny Graham is the chef and chief bottle washer at Revel Catering & Events, central Missouri’s premier catering service.